Sunday, September 10, 2006

I tried a Detox Diet: I'd always associated detoxing with starving and didn't think I could do it. But curiosity got the best of me.

Getting Motivated

Detoxing has always intrigued me. I like the idea of helping my body cleanse itself, and I had read that a detoxed body is healthier and better able to fend off diseases. But I was worried about being hungry during a week of diet restriction (I get ornery without enough food). Earlier this year a friend signed on to follow a detox diet designed by a naturopath, and I decided to try it with her.

The First Days

The first four days of the diet I could eat all the beans, fruits, nuts, seeds, vegetables, and whole grains (preferably organic) that I wanted--but nothing processed. I could eat these foods either raw or choked, and olive oil and herbs for flavoring were allowed. Yet on that first day all I could think about were the foods I couldn't eat, like ice cream.

I also had to drink a tonic of water mixed with lemon to cleanse my liver; honey for nourishment; ginger (Zingiber officinale) to relieve nausea; and hawthorn berry (Crataegus species) to aid my digestion and improve circulation. Surprisingly, the tonic tasted good. What I couldn't have was coffee. I don't drink much, but I missed it and wound up with a headache.
Advertisement



The next day my headache continued. Then I sliced my thumb while preparing breakfast and had to go to the emergency room to get stitches. So my thumb hurt and my head hurt. But I stuck to the plan.

Day three I had body aches on top of the headache, and was so tired I almost left work at 2 p.m. On day four I woke up feeling great, but by midafternoon I had a headache again and was fatigued. I wondered when I would begin to feel good.

The Fast

On the fifth day I started the dreaded two-day fruit and vegetable fast. I was allowed to eat any fruits and vegetables--but nothing else. I wasn't hungry or grumpy, but I wasn't completely satisfied with my meals either. And I was still extremely tired.

I also started taking 1,500 mg of the laxative herb psyllium (Plantago ovata). By 10 p.m. I felt the effect. For the next 1 1/2 hours I was running to the bathroom every 15 minutes with diarrhea.

The sixth day I cut the psyllium dose to 1/3 the amount. I felt somewhat better. Plus, my body wasn't as sore and my headache was milder.

Finally, on my last day, I felt better than I had in months. Now that I was back on the modified diet, it seemed like I had a huge array of foods from which to choose and I no longer craved forbidden foods.

Also, my usual allergy symptoms (irritated sinuses and stuffed nose) had cleared. And I had an amazing amount of energy that lasted all day.

My Verdict

The best part: Feeling allergy-free and energetic on the last day of the detox.

The worst part: The effects of the psyllium.

Would I do it again? I would do a three-day modified fast, but not a week-long one.

At a Glance

Donna Coco, 37

THE THERAPY: A week-long detox diet with cleansing herbs and a laxative.

THE COST: About $75 for food and $50 for supplements.

MY MOTIVATION: To feel refreshed and less bloated.

FEAR FACTOR: Moderate.

Fast Facts

HISTORY: Detoxification practices including enemas, sweat lodges, and fasts have been used in Greek, Native American, and Moslem cultures.

TODAY: Most naturopaths recommend following a restricted diet or fast (up to a week long) a few times a year.

FOR MORE INFO: To find a naturopath in your area, contact the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians (703-610-9037; www.naturopathic.org).

Donna Coco, is managing editor at Natural Health.
COPYRIGHT 2001 Weider Publications
COPYRIGHT 2001 Gale Group